Today I completed my last project for Kids Clothes Week, a Geranium dress from Made By Rae. This pattern has so many options, but I decided on a simple combination of tunic length, plain neckline, cap sleeves, pleats, and a single patch pocket. The fabric is quilting cotton I picked up at JoAnn on sale. The bodice facing and the pocket are the same light denim I’ve used on two other projects this week. I used some blue buttons to match:
I was a little worried about the size 3T being right for my tall, skinny just-turned-three girl so I added a bit to the length. It ended up being a great fit and I especially love the cap sleeves and the pleats.
The pattern was fantastic and the only thing I didn’t love was how the back button placket came together. The way the pieces needed to overlap left a funny pleat in the back. But once on, this wasn’t as noticeable as I’d feared. A little googling turned up some different options for addressing this, including a few ways to insert a zipper. I might try that instead on the next one. I’m also excited to try some of the different pattern options like the in-seam pockets, flutter sleeves, and neck cut-outs/notches.
I finished this pattern up during Es’s nap and she was less than thrilled to model when she woke up. I ended up getting a bunch of goofy pictures, even with the promise of a few chocolate chips or some Winnie the Pooh movie afterward. And she insisted on keeping on her sunflower pants. I don’t know how others get their kids to cooperate for such beautiful pictures! But the results were kind of funny:
I still have a few things cut out and ready to sew, although we are unlikely to have shorts and round neck top weather anytime soon. What a great week- the perfect motivation to get sewing for spring and so fun to gather inspiration from all the beautiful pieces created and shared.