These are the last two projects I completed during Kid’s Clothes Week. Both projects are part of my ongoing experiment with knits. Nothing fancy and there were some issues. But hey, maybe someone can learn from my mistakes. First up, an Oliver+S field trip raglan t shirt.
The serger worked well for the construction of the body and then I used my regular machine to top stitch the neckline. As you can see, the neck ended up wavy and very stretched out. I’ve made a few flashback skinny tees and the neckbands were fine, so I’m not sure where I went wrong. After seeing the lovely knits from the very funny and very talented Lightening McStitch here I asked for some advice. She passed along some good ideas and also suggested that the fabric could be the problem. My previous shirts were upcycled tshirts and this fabric was a thrifted piece of unknown content, so I will happily blame the fabric on this one and figure it can be another pajama shirt.
I got a few pictures during breakfast so you can fully appreciate its wonkiness:
This is a size 3 with a bit of added length on the arms and bottom by the addition of the cuffs. The cuffs worked so well on the bimaa hoodie I decided to add them here. I like cuffs on arms because you can add a bit of length without having the sleeves hanging in the way. E fit well into the size 3 library dress at Christmas so I went with the size 3 here but it ended up quite baggy. I might just stick with flashback skinny tee for E because I think the fit suits her better. I am excited to use this shirt and accompanying cargo pants pattern for O, though.
* * *
And my last project: a pair of Thatdarnkat underwear. I’ve had this pattern for a long time, waiting for E to actually need some new undies. I finally got tired of waiting and decided to make a practice pair using some old shirts. Comparing the pattern pieces to her current pairs I made a size two and they fit perfectly. Before I make more pairs I need to buy some fabric with lycra content for the waistbands as the polyester/cotton shirts I substituted don’t have a lot of elastic power. I plan to make a stack of size 4s to have on hand when she needs them, because these are darn cute.
And that’s it for winter Kid’s Clothes Week. Better late than never on getting this posted, I suppose!