Now that O has joined the dinner table I thought some new bibs were in order. First, a messy kid bib from Little Things to Sew:
I used a snap for the closure as O rips off velcro bibs. The front was made using iron-on vinyl, as suggested in the pattern. I did manage to get a few stray threads stuck between the vinyl and the fabric so I’ll be more careful next time. And I’m not sure if I picked a lower-quality vinyl but it tends to wrinkle up quite a bit with use. Nothing like ironing your child’s bib. But I do like the large size and this has become our go-to bib for O.
This pattern is very clever and O makes zero attempts to pull the bib off. You can see below how the bias tape wraps around the arms and ties in the back. I made the smaller size, suggested for 6m-18m. I wish I’d made the larger (24m-3t) size because this is snug. I will make this pattern again in the larger size but with vinyl, as the shape is perfect but wipe-off bibs get more use around here.
Both of these patterns were very straightforward. My only frustration with both was on the bias tape application. I’ve gotten into the habit of hand-sewing the finish on my bias tape because otherwise I can’t get things lined up nicely. The stitching wavers and ends up missing the tape entirely in some places and running too close to the middle in others. I applied the tape fully by machine in both cases and it is not pretty. But functional for a bib, I suppose.
Finally I made an art smock, also from Little Things to Sew. E wears her smock so much I figured O needs one too. While she uses the smock now for cooking and art projects, when E was little we often used smocks as a bib because they stay put and have better sleeve coverage.
I made the small (fits up to size 3). It is way too big on him now. When I put it on him, E informed me that it looked like a dress. I’m sure he’ll grow into it soon. The only change I made to the pattern was adding length to the neck elastic as E’s has gotten a bit snug.
O was done cooperating with photos by this point and tried to crawl away.
I love the finish on this smock. It is such a satisfying sew that I was going to make E another one in the next size up. Then she saw the bias-trimmed apron from the same book and requested that instead. Maybe that will be a good opportunity for me to conquer bias tape application. It would also give me one more project (previous projects here) before the Little Things to Sew: Cover to Cover Challenge runs out at the end of August.