I have one more catching-up post before Kid’s Clothes Week begins tomorrow. These are all things made for E over the past few months. Sorry for the long post, but there were some fun ones (and some good learning experiences) here and I wanted to record my notes.
Last spring I made E a cape shirt following this tutorial by Tara from Girl Like The Sea. It is a very easy tutorial to follow and the results are so fun. I used a flashback skinny tee as the base. The tshirt fabric is from an old maternity tee (no need to hem- love!) and the rainbow fabric was a very thin knit from Girl Charlee. This shirt has gotten a lot of use in our dress-up box lately and I’ll definitely be making more of these as gifts and for play.
I also made E the wide leg pants from the Happy Homemade Sew Chic Kids book last spring, but she didn’t wear them until this fall.
This is an easy, stylish pattern and I do like the back pockets. I think these are the size 2 width and size 4 length. They are already getting short on her and the wide legs are a pain to stick into her boots for preschool. So, I have some other patterns on my to-make list for E as we move into the rainy season around here.
I also returned to one of my very first Oliver+S sews, the Class Picnic Blouse. I decided to try this in a knit fabric to maximize the changes of it actually getting worn.
This is a french terry, which ended up being a bit too heavy-weight for this pattern but sure was easy to sew. I also successfully used the double needle on the hems, which felt like a big accomplishment since the double needle broke last project. I used a size 3 with quite a bit of length added to make a tunic-length shirt. Knits stretch so much more than wovens, so I should have used a size 2 as a base. It’s in the too-big box right now as the neck is especially large. But I do think making this pattern in knits has potential!
And finally, I made an Oliver+S badminton skort. E wore skorts constantly this summer so I figured I should really give this pattern a try. This is a size 4 with one inch of added length. This pattern never felt full enough to me, so I added width to the skirt piece by comparing the pattern to one of E’s other skorts. I ended up using almost the entire width of the fabric.
This is such a practical and cute pattern and I’ll definitely be returning to it next spring. My fabric choice on this, unfortunately, was not great. I think normal denim would be fine, but the denim I used (same as her coat here) was quite stiff because of the painted spots. You can see how the skirt sticks out and the seam connecting the skirt and shorts will not lie flat despite topstitching. The shorts are french terry and I used a light-weight shirting for the skirt facing:
I was going to skip the scallops but E wanted the pattern as shown on the envelope. I recently introduced her to the Oliver+S paper dolls online. For whatever reason I didn’t think she’d have much interest in them, but she loved playing with them. I also printed/copied off the patterns I owned and made her a paper set of clothes and dolls. We’ve had so much fun, and she now asks me to make patterns by name.
And now I am finally caught up! Thank you for reading!