We were seriously late to the Frozen party, but ever since seeing the movie this summer E has been smitten. Despite some initial talk about being Glinda from The Wizard of Oz, she eventually decided to be Anna for Halloween.
I had such a hard time getting motivated to make this costume. Finally I just decided to make something Anna-like, using patterns and fabrics I had and enjoyed. It may be lacking in authenticity, but E is happy enough. Which is good because oh my goodness, did this costume ever take a long time! And technically speaking it was completely before Kid’s Clothes Week, but I’m breaking the rules a bit because my only other project (O’s costume) is also taking a very long time.
Anyway, the details. I decided to make a dress and a pinafore for the main costume. The pale blue dress is the smock dress (pattern E) from Happy Homemade: Sew Chic Kids. I like the sleeves and the front detail on this pattern and it also comes with sweet little pockets that I might add later. It is size 110/4 with the equivalent of an 8 in length. The main fabric is Kaufman pinpoint shirting with some Kaufman lawn for the bindings. The shirting is quite lovely and I can see using it for other projects. I completed this piece first and E thought it looked like a nightgown and wore it to bed for quite a few nights. I agree that it definitely has a nightgown vibe (which seems common in Japanese patterns).
The pinafore is a modified Made By Rae Geranium dress using the scallops from the Oliver+S badminton pattern for the skirt trim/facing. I used ric rac trim (instead of the gold ribbon on the original) because that’s what I had on hand. I’ve never added trim/piping to anything before and it wasn’t actually that difficult.
At this point the costume wasn’t looking much like the movie, especially since I decided to skip the flowers on the bodice and skirt edge because I didn’t feel like dealing with fabric paint. So I decided to buy some cheap fabric for the cape from Jo-Ann. I used a bit of a Japanese pattern for the cape but mostly made it up as I went along. There is a little shot cotton for the trims because that polyester was depressing to work with.
And there you have it. One Halloween costume complete!