I have two little projects to share today. Both were intended to be Christmas gifts for the kids but I ran out of time before the holidays . For E, I made a little sleeping bag from the Flossie Teacakes pattern. I’ve wanted to make this for years, even since seeing them on Gail‘s blog. Then a friend reminded me about the pattern and it finally moved to the top of my to sew list. This is the smallest of the three sizes, to fit her little pups.
It’s a bit of a tight squeeze to fit in both pups so I’m tempted to make another one with different dimensions. It would be easy to alter the pattern to be extra wide and not as long. This pattern was so easy and fast that I decided to make another one. We’ll probably use this one as a gift for one of E’s preschool friends. I love the Red Riding Hood fabric, leftover from her Red Riding Hood Cape.
For the record, it is a little tricky to get good pictures of stuffed animals. Especially given the serious (melancholy? sleepy?) expression on these little pups. But she loves them so.
Last time I made bibs I struggled a bit to get the bias tape lined up correctly. So this time I tried Rachel‘s suggestion to finish the binding with a zigzag stitch. This was quick, has held up well so far, and I like the look on a bib. Thanks for the suggestion, Rachel! I’m also hoping to try Shelley‘s suggestion soon, as I was able to find some quilter’s fusible edge.
My favorite part of this bib is how well it stays put. O makes no attempts to take it off. The bib itself is a great size and provides good coverage. The armholes are a bit too large, so for kids on the lower end of the size range it might be worth trying on the bib before applying the bias binding. I’d also love to make this again with laminated cotton or iron-on vinyl so that it can be wiped off between uses.
O was happy with it. Especially when I gave him “more” pears. I love his little signs.