It’s Kid’s Clothes Week, winter edition. I considered not sewing along since the kids’ winter wardrobes are in good shape and I have so many other things on my sewing list. But I just couldn’t let the week go by without sewing at all.
So I decided to spend seven hours sewing and see what I could get made. Honestly I did most of the sewing last week because sewing, photographing, and writing posts all in one week is too much. But anyway, for today, a report on my first few hours of sewing…
For hour one I prepped pattern pieces. I traced the size 5 pattern pieces for a dress bodice and drafted a skirt pattern pieces based off one of E’s dresses. I got completely sucked into figuring out the math needed to lengthen the skirt and keep the same proportions as the original dress. First hour, gone in a snap.
In hour two I cut out the dress for E and a pair of overalls for O (to be shared soon I hope).
To start hour three I forget to pull the thread holder part of my serger up into place before sewing which unthreaded part of the machine. After battling the threads, the tweezer, and the vague instruction manual I had time left to sew the top of E’s dress
Hour four, finished a dress for E.
And then I convinced her to take a few pictures on a cold and foggy morning. She also picked the accessories, in case you were curious 🙂
For this dress I was inspired by a Tea Collection dress E loves. When I saw the bubble skirt on the dress I realized this would be a way to avoid hemming a skirt and give the skirt a little more body. For the top I used the bimaa sweater pattern with the shawl option. The striped fabric is an old maternity shirt, sticking with the upcycle theme of the week. The shirt is a cotton without much stretch or recovery (I guess you’d say). It ended up making a top that was much too big on E. The neckline is indecently low (I pulled the dress up for the pictures but it tends to slide down). E wore the dress today with a tshirt underneath which doesn’t look great but at least covers her chest a bit better. I’ve made the hoodie option in a size 4 and it’s getting snug on E so I’m going to blame the fabric on this one, not the sizing or the pattern. Next time I’ll use a fabric with a bit of spandex and something less floppy for the neckline.
For the skirt and shawl I used the same gray knit I used on E’s previous bimaa sweater. It’s quite thin and so I figured it would work best doubled up anyway. The fabric has little painted dots which were fine to sew with except for the skirt gathering portion, where the thread wouldn’t slide through the dots. In case you wanted to make a similar skirt, here are my jotted down dimensions:
This dress definitely didn’t turn out quite as I’d hoped. The front is too low and open. The entire dress ended up on the short side despite my attempts at lengthening. I should have curved the bodice bottom a bit. I’m not wild about the fabric combination. But I think it was a good first try and I hope to come back to this idea later. I’ll probably use a flashback skinny tee for the top since I’m more confident in the fit. And while I wish this had come out exactly as I’d imagined the first time, I know this is also why I keep sewing. I just keep trying to get it right.