This is my third summer making Oliver+S bucket hats. This year I made size large for both kids as they outgrew the size mediums from previous years. O’s head is large for his age, but this pattern also seems to consistently run small. I made the hats identical (andover chambray on one side, white with black dots on the other) as O loves hats but would always prefer to take E’s hat off her head. I’m hoping that matching hats might make sharing easier.
I added one inch to both brims to get a bit more sun protection. I didn’t have any sew-in interfacing so I used fusible fleece for the brim and also used some lightweight interfacing on the crown. These hats are so big, I felt they needed a bit of extra structure.
The kids will probably reach for other, store-bought hats most of the summer. These tend to fly off in the wind or with much movement and they’re fairly heavy and hot compared with the nice fast-drying and lightweight fabrics from our REI hats. But for now, matching hats are pretty fun.