O needs some new pants, so I’m trying out some of my pants patterns to figure out what fits him best. First up, Oliver+S sandbox pants in Kaufman corduroy with navy knit for front pocket trim and waistband. I actually made a pair of these in a smaller size a year ago and they were a complete disaster, not even remotely fitting over O’s diaper. This pair was more successful, but not without some frustrations.
I made a couple modifications to the 2T pattern:
- Skipped the button on the back pockets
- Used the mini hudson pockets as a guide to replace the patch pockets
- Used the mini hudson pattern to make a knit waistband (using 1 inch elastic and no drawstring)
- Serged and sewed down all seam allowances like Rae describes here. This is the best way I’ve found to get sturdy seams and I like the extra stitching lines it creates on something casual
I like the knit waistband on these and I think they’re more comfortable and easier for him to pull up and down (we’re in the middle of potty training) than a drawstring. I love the little back pockets, but overall the fit on these feels a little funky. The rise on the back seems too high and the pockets too low. I think 2T Oliver+S are designed to fit over diapers, and O is wearing a disposable in these pictures.
O is tall for his age so I should have added length as they are just barely long enough. The pant legs are also fairly wide, which is tricky with boot season coming.
I contemplated trying the pattern again with a longer/thinner fit and shorter rise/higher pockets. But with many other pants patterns to try, I think I’ll just move on. So, more boy pants, Halloween costumes, and KCW prep up next.