At E’s school, each classroom is represented by an animal. E’s room is the bats and she asked if I’d make her a bat dress. I ordered some Alexander Henry fabric called Bellatrix the Bat and decided to make another Made By Rae Geranium dress.
This is my favorite dress pattern and I knew I had to make at least one more in size 5. For fall and winter wear I wanted to add sleeves, as I saw Rae do here. I wasn’t sure how best to approach sleeves in a lined bodice so I asked Rae for help and was kindly pointed in the direction of this tutorial. I used the sleeves from the Oliver+S library dress in size 4, adjusting the armhole openings to match, and it worked perfectly. I do really hope that Rae puts out an expansion pack for this pattern as she hinted in her recent post. Sleeves, collars, and closure options for this pattern would be so fun.
The bodice pieces are a size 5 with 1 inch of length added. I also added extra length and width to the skirt pieces and used a 2 inch hem which hangs very nicely. I used almost all of my 1 1/2 yards of fabric and didn’t have enough to match the prints, but oh well. I know this is a pretty wild dress, but I love the colors in the fabric and E was happy with the results. She has decided (as of yesterday) to be a bat for Halloween so this dress will be a good base for her costume. I’m thinking a headband with bat ears and some quick wings like here will finish off the outfit. Until then, E thought it was perfect for dancing around and book reading.
On a side note, we just finished reading Gooseberry Park and its sequel by Cynthia Rylant and Arthur Howard, featuring a lovely cast of quirky animals (including a bat or two). We thoroughly enjoyed both books, as we do the Mr. Putter and Tabby series from the same duo. With kindergarten taking up so much of E’s time I’m always happy when we can squeeze in some extra book reading. And on that totally unrelated to sewing note, I end my KCW.