I did hardly any sewing for the holidays this year. But E requested a red dress and wasn’t happy with any of the store-bought choices we found. So I let her pick some red fabric (Riley Blake chevrons for the main fabric and floral print for the band) and got to work. This dress is loosely based on the Oliver+S library dress. I started with the size 3T pieces and modified the heck out of them, somewhat using the tutorial here that I’ve used in the past.
I added the fabric band around the entire dress this time and cut two of each bodice piece to create a full lining. I knew with the wild chevrons I wanted the front to be as simple as possible and I wanted to give the thin jersey a bit more substance. I also added quite a bit of length and some width to the skirt pieces so that I could gather them in the front and back. E was happy to have her red dress and wore it on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I was making this one up as I went along and was so happy that it fit!
For O, I finally got around to trying out the Oliver+S art museum trousers. I loved making these pants and he loves wearing them. Despite being fancy they are very comfortable and easy for him to pull on and off with the elastic waist and faux fly. The fabric is Kaufman shetland flannel in gray and this fabric was just as lovely as others have found. It was admitidely not the best choice for pants as it’s getting rather fuzzy, as to be expected with flannel. But it is very cozy and I like that it looks a bit like wool without the hassle.
I made these in size 2 and they are plenty long on this tall guy. No need to add length to this pattern. O is embracing his 2-ness and refused to wear these pants on Christmas, but he happily wears them for all other occasions. I want to make this pattern again immediately. Maybe in a corduroy. I love those little welt pockets. And the side pockets.
And his belly!
That’s a wrap on my holiday sewing. Hope your holidays were magical!