Two kids means a lot of stuff to carry around these days. We often head out for an adventure with everything tucked nicely in our diaper bag. But by the end of our trip we have sweaters, hats, treasures, and snacks exploding everywhere. Then we had a yogurt spill in our old diaper bag and I figured the time was right to make a new bag.
This is the Super Tote pattern with no modification. I love Noodlehead patterns and have a (probably unreasonable) hope to sew all of Anna’s patterns some day. I bought the main fabric (linen I think) a few years ago and have been saving it for a bag. I used yellow linen for the handles and piping with an older Moda/Wee Play print for the front pocket and upper panels. For the lining I used a Kaufman chambray in herringbone.
I love that this bag is so big. No problem fitting in all our stuff and the top zip is perfect for keeping everything contained. I used the recommended interfacing and this is a super-sturdy bag. The four inside pockets are great for storing diapers and wipes and snacks. The pieces all came together perfectly, as I’ve come to expect from a Noodlehead pattern.
There wasn’t anything tricky about this (even the zipper went together smoothly) but it was a slow project. There’s a lot of pieces to decide on fabrics, cut and interface, and sew together. I usually work on projects one at a time but I put this one aside a few times for other projects.
This is not advertised as a diaper bag but that’s how it’s mostly been used so far. If I make another one for the same purpose I would consider some changes. The straps don’t fit easily on a stroller and I prefer an adjustable strap to wear across my body if I’m going to be carrying a bag a long time. I haven’t found a great place to store keys, phone, and a wallet in this bag. The front pocket and inside pockets are deep so smaller things tend to get lost. I might add a smaller pocket to the front or make a higher inside pocket.